5 Actionable SEO Tips For Marketing Your Startup
You are finally starting your dream business.
Your products are ready and your site is ready to go live shortly.
With all these aspects ready the next step is to bring customers to your startup. Search is easily one of the best and most profitable marketing channels. Your target market is likely conducting online searches that are related to the products you sell.
Ranking at the top for those keywords drives targeted traffic to your product pages, resulting in more sales to your startup. It’s definitely easier said than done. The digital landscape is more competitive than ever so now it takes a comprehensive SEO strategy to rank in the search results and stay ahead of the curve.
Here we provide five actionable SEO tips to get the ball rolling for your startup.
1. Identify Your Target Keywords
You need to target the right keywords that your market is searching for. Otherwise your campaign will fail to gain any traction from the start. Start by brainstorming keywords that are relevant to the products or services that your startup offers.
Then use Google’s Keyword Planner to get even more keyword ideas and get traffic estimates.
Ideally you want to target keywords with low competition and a decent amount of traffic. If you target keywords that are too broad (e.g. “running shoes”), you won’t stand a chance of ranking without a sizable budget. But if you target keywords that barely get any traffic your efforts would be wasted.
2. Get Your On-Page Optimisation in Order
Many startups tend to forget about one of the most important ranking factors which is optimising the on-page factors of your site. Basic optimisation is key to improve the visibility of your pages as it helps Google better understand your pages. Optimise each of the following:
- Title tags: Include your target keywords here and make it enticing to get visitors to click through. Remember to keep your titles under 70 characters or Google will automatically truncate it.
- Meta description: These are short snippets of text that appear in the search results. The descriptions are a brief overwhat of what your page is about. Be sure to include your target keywords as well.
- Headers: Headers are particularly useful as they break up blocks of text and improve readability. Instead of your primary keywords, include your secondary keywords here.
- Body: Include your main keywords several times throughout your content. But remember not to over-optimise your content either as it can result in a ranking penalty.
Optimising these factors won’t guarantee overnight rankings but they will give you more of an advantage.
3. Post Fresh Content to Your Blog
Businesses that blog are 13 times more likely to report a positive ROI.
Every startup should keep a regularly updated blog. Producing quality content not only increases search engine traffic, it also establishes credibility with your target market. Engaging posts are also more likely to be shared and attract quality links.
Here are some ideas for blog posts:
- Comprehensive guides
- How-to tutorials
- Latest industry news
- Coverage of events
- Case studies
Remember to focus on quality and engaging content that provide value. Your blog will fail to gain any traction if the content is bland and boring.
4. Guest Post on Industry Blogs
Your startup is still relatively new so chances are no one has heard about it yet.
A great way to increase brand awareness and drive traffic to your pages is with guest posting. This involves contacting other webmasters directly and sending a request to submit content. If they agree, you get to submit a post with a link back to your site.
A link from a relevant source will carry far more weight than a spammy link. This marketing tactic takes longer to implement but it has far more potential to drive measurable results.
5. Get on Social Media
Social media cannot be ignored.
Facebook alone has over a billion active users while other networks such as Twitter and Google+ have a lot of users as well. Create profiles on each of the major social platforms and post quality content to each. Be sure to interact with your audience and keep your profiles updated.
Implement each of these actionable SEO tips to give your startup a competitive advantage online.